Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2014

more sweater recycling..

 Bye Bye American Eagle outfitters sweater.. hello acrylic,wool. nylon, alpaca yarn.  Again there is a good amount of soft yarn from this sweater. I'm getting good at unraveling sweaters now. I also know what to look for. If you want to do this yourself the sweaters you want to stay away from are the ones that are cut and sewn by machine. That means that you will only get a lot of ends and nothing that you can use for knitting. I look for better fibers like linen, wool, cotton, alpaca, angora and cashmere. Also a lot of the commercial yarn is made up of lots of thinner threads that are not spun together. It is usable but you have to be careful when knitting. Check the seams to see if they are put together with the same yarn using a chain stitch. That usually means that the sweaters pieces will unravel and there will be very little wasted yarn. This sweater yielded lots of beautiful yarn.  
 Another trip to the thrift store and two more sweaters half price. The first one is a Gap sweater, viscose, lambs' wool, nylon, angora and cashmere. The navy sweater a sonoma sweater 56% cotton 44% acrylic. It has a really nice feel and a nice sheen. I already have a project for this and you will see this soon. My son was admiring this yarn. hehe

 All unraveled.
 Progress on my shrug. This yarn looks more blue in person and I love knitting with it. So far I have only been working on this going to work on the bus. The yarn is light and soft and cozy. I better get knitting so I can enjoy waring this soon.



No comments: