Pages

Thursday, February 05, 2009

days off.. time to knit

The few days have been pretty cold in Florida. My heater isn't the greatest either and my house has way too many windows that leak.. You can actually see the blinds move from the wind outside.. So lets just say it's been pretty cold in the house. I started this raglan jacket from the Vogue Knitting winter 2009 issue on Tuesday night at my knitting group and worked on it most of the day yesterday.. as the temperature dropped in the house the jacket was getting longer and keeping me nice and warm. This has a lot of stretch to it and the one other person on Ravelry that completed it said that she blocked it..right now it's basically a giant lace panel knit with bulky yarn on size 19 needles... so fun.. Today before work I want to knit the rest of the body of the sweater... I can't start on the sleeves yet because they call for size 17 dpn's which I don't have atm.. I priced a few online and they were a bit expensive so I'm going to try to make some out of wooden dowels of the same thickness.. all that would require is a new belt for my belt sander.. I had the dowels already.. I hope it works.. if not I'll just put this on hold until I can find the needles locally.. So far I rate this project as FUN.. it grows so fast..

















My Thorpe was finished 2 days ago. Having more days off from work has given me time to knit more.. The yarn is Patons SWS , size 10 needles. I used larger needles so it would be a little bigger and it turned out the perfect size..Now I have to pack it up and mail it out to Alaska.. This hat was really fast to knit.

3 comments:

SagePixie said...

Shrinkwrap your windows. You take clear(or colored, festive!) cellophane and cover the windows good with a good edging around for good measure and then you use your hair dryer to melt the cellophane. It peels right off don't worry but it works as a good temporary seal during the winter months.
*I'm here from Ravelry aka SagePixie

adrienne *+*(^_^) +*+ said...

OO thanks. I'll have to look into that for next time. It's supposed to be 79 this Sunday. The weather here is crazy..

Peter L said...

Adrienne- We in the cold north know all about drafty windows in cold weather. The hardware stores here even stock up on plastic for windows. It is a pain to put up every year, but worth it on those subfreezing days.

As for the Thorpe (I didn't know that is what they are called), you could sell those around here. The students where I teach love to wear them, as well as a lot of adults.